Hey there folks!
I’ve decided to (try) and commit to a mini devlog habit, where I discuss some of the behind the scenes work to show some of our progress from time-to-time.
So for this week, we have around 5 major accomplishments:
Updated Dialogue system
Fixed issues with branching conversations (it’s a lot easier to create these now!).
Added in UI to show the name of a room/scene when you enter it
This is a relatively minor enhancement, but it sure looks cool! I ended up manually animating this in Unity’s timeline to give it a nice easing effect!
Bugfix to allow test enemy’s hitboxes to actually work again
This issue was a pretty simple fix that I originally suspected was going to need a deep drive to fix. Glad I was wrong 😀
Switched over to a tile-based system for level greyboxing
So in the past, I’ve played around with a lot of methods for building test levels, and couldn’t quite find anything that was fairly quick and dependable. Surprisingly enough, I tested out Unity’s tile editor and it’s actually pretty good for solving this! I’m kinda embarrassed that I haven’t used it until now 😉
Introduction of Behavior Tree System to replace most of old AI
We’ve actually begun trying out a Behavior Tree System that should make it much easier to build engaging AI without the burden of repeated code or writing a lot of boilerplate code for each enemy! We’re still working on transitioning stuff over from what we had, but it’s looking good so far!
That’s it for now!