A game in development about
beating up Pollution and fixing the Weather

Mini Devlog – #6

It’s been a busy couple of weeks as I’ve been tackling several things in preparation for some upcoming goals and well, planning what’s to come for 2019!

I’m going to try to tackle these “mini-devlogs” in a more repeatable format and maybe concluding the month with a larger overview of progress, etc.

Accomplishments this week:

  • Upgraded to the latest Unity version. Originally we withheld from doing so due to a bug. After discovering the root cause, we’ve found a workaround, and looks at though Unity has identified/reproduced the issue as well.
  • Updated several model sheets for a few characters. Minor tweaks were made to several of them that kinda took minor details that all the artists individually (and often, inadvertently) contributed.
  • Scoped out the demo requirements a bit. Some items/features are going to be cut (or have been already), while other items have been more clearly identified. Things here are actually coming along pretty great!
  • Started documenting some guidelines/processes that have up until now been “tribal knowledge” and not as readily apparent for new members that enter the team.
  • Reworked a lot of input/control features. This includes the ability to “hold/charge” attacks, as well as the ability to bind attacks to a joystick. I’ve also set up controls a bit better to where they potentially are remapped (once I get to work on a control remapper).
  • Recruited someone to help out with creating particles/vfx. We’ve already got a few tests back, and they look wonderful!
  • Begun prepping for the next character reveal. They’ll show up sooner or later ~
  • Workflow improvement: Rough Animator on the iPad has been great, on the good app for animation. I’ve given it a test run and I actually see some potential in using it for roughs and possibly more.

Next Focus:

  • Sounds and Particles/VFX. Now that a lot of combat and movement features are much more developed, I’m really eager to add on some bells and whistles (and verify the pipeline for getting these things imported and working for different scenarios)
  • AI: Looking to get some enemies doing some cool things again. I’ve actually got a more solid AI framework going (compared to the mess I had a year ago), but we need to actually start looking at individual behaviors for different enemies more thoroughly.
  • Updating the Patreon page and Website/Blog design. I haven’t exactly touched either in a while, but want to make things a little more attractive here and there. 
  • UI: Been holding off on this, I really should look at getting things in this area more fleshed out from not only a design standpoint, but functionality ~